Universal Care Unit
About Woodlawn Health: Woodlawn Health is located in Fulton and Marshall County, Indiana. We are a rural health system earning the right to care for our community! Our flagship hospital and three rural clinics are located in Rochester, Indiana. We also have clinics in Akron and Argos, Indiana.
Our Mission is to provide excellent healthcare services by highly skilled staff in a compassionate and caring manner. We know that our employees are essential to the care we provide! When you join the Woodlawn Family, you have opportunities to bring your family to events such as breakfast with the Easter Bunny, Woodlawn Picnic, and other things throughout the year.
Our core values are as follows: Courtesy, Respect, Caring, Professionalism, Confidentiality, Integrity, and Accountability.
- The Patient Care Tech is responsible for adhering to all standards of nursing care and taking accountability for all patient care given during his/her shift.
- Under the supervision of the primary RN or LPN, the Patient Care Tech will assist nursing by performing skills and services to meet personal needs and comfort of an assigned group of patients.
- Delivers care while maintaining privacy and an age-appropriate and disease process focus.
- Demonstrates clinical competency in the pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric skills specifically identified on the unit skills checklist within 90 days of employment.
- Assess for and report observations of the patient’s mentation, tolerance, and overall condition accurately to the primary nurse.
The Patient Care Tech will provide the following for patients assigned to him/her:
- Provide oral and skin hygiene for the conscious and unconscious patient.
- Assist the patient to dress while maintaining privacy.
- Complete soiled linen change of the unoccupied and occupied bed.
- Assist the ambulatory and non-ambulatory patient with toileting needs.
- Assist the ambulatory and non-ambulatory patient with change of position and transfer or ambulation with use of assistive devices.
- Accurate monitoring of and reporting of patient intake and output.
- Demonstrate correct use of patient scale and recording of patient weight.
- Obtain patient vital signs as instructed and report and document results appropriately.
- Provide the patient with appropriate meal and assist the patient as needed.
- Perform and record accurate accu-check testing as needed. Report results to nurse in a timely manner.
- Assist with patient admission, transfer, and discharge, orienting patient and family to room and environment, safety and infection prevention measures.
- To provide assistance to the nurse with treatment and procedures.
- Perform or assist in secretarial duties to provide delivery of physician orders using computer order entry and accurate transcription of orders, tasks, and results to the patient record.
- Understands the proper utilization and functioning of patient supplies and equipment necessary in performing his/her duties.
- Ensure a safe environment for the patient and staff by complying with hospital safety measures and plans.
- Cross-train and perform as needed in other nursing departments.
- Attends report promptly to receive and share patient information among nursing staff.
- Assist all personnel in a cooperative and respective manner.
- Relates all patient questions/requests to staff nurse in a timely manner.
- Maintain good rapport with nurses and coworkers.
- Conduct self in a professional manner.
- Respects patient rights and professional ethics.
- Stays available and accessible at all times when on duty.
- Cooperates with staffing needs during high and low census situations.
- Abides by infection control standards of Woodlawn Hospital.
- Attends or participates in all mandatory departmental and hospital events, meetings, education and requirement.
- Performs any and all other duties as assigned.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Successful completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant course and registered with the Indiana State Department of Health Nurse Aid Registry preferred. Must maintain certification and provide Human Resources with any renewals or changes. OR
- Currently a student in a school of nursing preferred.
- Equivalent work experience preferred.
- Recent graduate of a nursing program and awaiting licensure.
- Graduate of EMT training program
- High School graduate/GED preferred but not required.
- Must possess Basic Life Support certification or obtain prior to providing direct patient care. Maintains BLS certification per hospital policy.
- Ability to cooperate and work well with others in a cooperative and respectful manner to give excellent individualized patient care.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work in a multi-task environment where interruptions may be frequent.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions effectively; ability to write legibly.
- Good computer keyboard skills, ability to enter data accurately and efficiently into data base systems.
- Flexible and can adapt to new situations while working quickly and efficiently.
- Prioritize time and care according to patient needs.
- Genuine interest in patients and co-workers as demonstrated by timeliness, flexibility, and attendance when scheduled, including weekends and holidays.
- Ability to adapt to variations in scheduling (including but not limited to overtime, work schedule changes and low census).
- Maintains well-groomed appearance and practices good personal hygiene. Conforms to hospital dress code. Hospital ID badge will be worn at all times.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality as defined by hospital policy.
- Ability to cooperate with other members of the medical team and personnel of other departments to give individualized patient care.
- Demonstrates good communication and customer service skills.
- Good visual and aural acuity.
- Basic computer and keyboard skills.
- Supports this institution by following policies and procedures as set forth, participating in hospital activities, promoting good public relations, and demonstrating loyalty and pride in Woodlawn Hospital.
Apply online or email resume to: Msaless@woodlawnhospital.com
To apply for this job please visit woodlawnhospital.org.