On November 2, 1905, the doors of Fulton County’s first hospital opened for the purpose of “administering medical, surgical and obstetrical aid to the general public.” Known as “The Woodlawn,” it was founded by Dr. Winfield Scott Shafer at 624 Pontiac Street in Rochester. Dr. W.S. Shafer operated the hospital until his death in 1916. The hospital fell into the hands of his son, Dr. Howard Shafer, until his death in 1931. Shortly afterwards, Woodlawn Hospital was sold to Dr. Milton E. Leckrone, head surgeon of the hospital. Under Dr. Leckrone’s direction, a two-story brick addition was completed in 1936, and the bed capacity was increased from 15 to 33.
After the untimely death of Dr. Leckrone in 1945, Fulton County assumed ownership of Woodlawn Hospital. A five member Board of Trustees, appointed by the Fulton County Board of Commissioners, serves as the governing body of the hospital.